Nov 17, 2007

Do they speak Icelandic everywhere

Business as usual last Friday when I took the train from Leiden to Ams Zuid to my University. I had to meet my work group there to do an assignment, we where not that successful this time around but that's another story. At 15:00 I decided to go back home and ran to the trainstation and just managed to catch the 15:11 train directly to Leiden. Found my way to the lower deck and sat down on the first seat that was free. Suddenly I hear someone speaking close to me in Icelandic, my curiosity went to the roof as I tryied to figure out if I should assist thouse guys or not. I suddanly said "Yes Schiphol is the next station" thay both looked at me wondering what to say. We had a nice 5 min discussion until we arrived at Schiphol airport.

Icelanders are not that many and this was the first time I heard someone speaking in the train Icelandic. But it was funny that yesterday was the day to honor the Icelanic language in Iceland, so I managed to do that although I was in Amsterdam. They do speak Icelandic everywhere!!!

No comments: